My photo
I am an artist who has lived in Los Angeles, New York City and, now, northern California. My initial interest in art was provoked by the Asian collection at the Seattle Art Museum when I was in high school, and it has continued to this day. I am not a collector, merely an admirer who has picked up the odd scroll, print or seal. Seals especially have engaged a deep involvement and I welcome this opportunity to share. For my own primarily sculptural works please visit my website lorenmadsen.com.

"chess" seal



This is complex: a seal depicting a board game, like the Japanese "go," which was played in China long, long ago. On one side the game, on the other a shack (hermit's hut) with overhanging trees and in the background, mountains. On the top and sides are phrases, proverbs; on the bottom, another. So...
Inscription, top: 如意, ru yi, as you like ("whatever you wish"); Side (top left photo): 心圫(?)光明宜増壽, xin yu(?) guang ming yi zeng shou, a clear conscience prolongs life; Side (middle left): 精神爽朗[ ]康强, jing shen shuang lang [ ] kang qiang, a clear mind makes for good health.
Impression: 校州譚儀中儀父, xiao Zhao Tan yi zhong yi fu
(Something like) Officer Zhao Tan [ceremonies ... father]. I don't know how to render the second phrase as the character for ceremonies/rites/appearance, 儀, appears twice.

1 comment:

Yugan, who is a Talovich said...

Japanese go, 碁, as in 圍棋, is another game entirely. This kind of chessboard is still used all the time. (I learned how to play in VN when I was 17; the rules are a little bit different. I have yet to win a game).
心地光明宜增壽
精神爽朗自康強