My photo
I am an artist who has lived in Los Angeles, New York City and, now, northern California. My initial interest in art was provoked by the Asian collection at the Seattle Art Museum when I was in high school, and it has continued to this day. I am not a collector, merely an admirer who has picked up the odd scroll, print or seal. Seals especially have engaged a deep involvement and I welcome this opportunity to share. For my own primarily sculptural works please visit my website lorenmadsen.com.

cloud(?) seal


A beautiful stone carved into the shape of a cloud, perhaps. Suggestions welcome.
Inscription: 光諸己亥重陽日, guang zhu ji hai chong yang ri, (reign of) Guangxu (1875-1908), (year) 1899, Chongyang Festival (aka Double Ninth Festival, ie 9th day of the 9th month)
Impression: 道不同不相為謀, dao bu tong bu xiang wei mou, If our paths are different we won't worry.

3 comments:

Yugan, who is a Talovich said...

道不同不相為謀 comes from 論語 the Analects.

George said...

Hi, I just stumbled upon your wonderful site, and will come back to it later for a better look. I felt I wanted to add my suggestion for your "cloud" seal, what I see as Buddha huddled in his blanket in the cold rain.
Thank you, a beautiful site,
George

Loren Madsen said...

Hello George. Thanks for viewing and thanks for the comment. Now you mention Buddha all wrapped up, I can see it. He looks asleep to me. I'll be browsing your website soon!