My photo
I am an artist who has lived in Los Angeles, New York City and, now, northern California. My initial interest in art was provoked by the Asian collection at the Seattle Art Museum when I was in high school, and it has continued to this day. I am not a collector, merely an admirer who has picked up the odd scroll, print or seal. Seals especially have engaged a deep involvement and I welcome this opportunity to share. For my own primarily sculptural works please visit my website lorenmadsen.com.

peaches on a tree























A sweet little seal with much cultural resonance: peaches on a tree. The peach is native to China and is involved in many stories, including that of Yu Huang (the Jade Emperor) and his mother Xi Wangmu (Queen Mother of the West) who conferred longevity on the gods by feeding them the peaches of immortality, whose tree fruited only once every 1000 years.


Inscription 1: 千年桃實大如斗仙人摘之㕥, qian nian tao shi da ru dou xian ren zhai zhi [ ],
A thousand year peach, big as a dipper. The immortal picks and eats.
Inscription 2: [ ] 酒一食能得千年壽 [ ] 頰(?)常在十八九, [ ] jiu yi shi neng de qian nian shou [ ] jia chang zai shi ba jiu, Drink this wine (elixir) once to gain a thousand years of longevity, rosy cheeked always, like an 18 or 19 (year old).
Impression: 月+?, 龍, [ ] long, [ ] dragon. The right half of the first character is very elusive to me.
Signature: 又 耕 占, You Geng Zhan

1 comment:

Yugan, who is a Talovich said...

千年桃實大如斗仙人摘之以釀酒,一食能得千年壽,朱顏常在十八九。
I guess it's somebody's name. The seal says 然龍~~然 dogmeat originally did not have the 四點火.
beautiful workmanship.
I'm always amazed at how well you work these things out without knowing Chinese! You have a knack, you should learn the language. It's easy.