My photo
I am an artist who has lived in Los Angeles, New York City and, now, northern California. My initial interest in art was provoked by the Asian collection at the Seattle Art Museum when I was in high school, and it has continued to this day. I am not a collector, merely an admirer who has picked up the odd scroll, print or seal. Seals especially have engaged a deep involvement and I welcome this opportunity to share. For my own primarily sculptural works please visit my website lorenmadsen.com.

ivory dragonturtle


My only ivory seal. No side inscriptions, and the impression is still unknown (to me), though the bottom left character (b&w) is 寶 bao, treasure. The two to the right side are tough to figure out.

5 comments:

Yugan, who is a Talovich said...

the second character is definitely 治. The first one looks like 篆字『以』on the right, but there's no such character, unless somebody invented it to amuse himself. It could be 洄~~

Yugan, who is a Talovich said...

think it is 氾?

Loren Madsen said...

Yugan-
I'm having trouble with this one. Would you send me your email so I can send you a photo and questions? Thanks.

Michael. said...

Did you have any success in translating this?

Loren Madsen said...

No more than you see here, Michael. If Yugan (a resident of Taiwan and very knowledgeable) can't figure it out then I also don't know.